More than 300 members of the Uniting Church in Australia met last month at the 14th triennial Assembly, held in Perth. Church gatherings such as this represent a microcosm of issues facing society. Our relationship with Australia’s First peoples, multiculturalism, same-gender marriage, asylum seeker policies and foreign aid were just some of the subjects discussed throughout the eight days. This month, Crosslight brings you a snapshot of news and reflections from Assembly.
- A Uniting Church member accepts a unique invitation to crown a king.
- The Major Strategic review team discuss their work within the church.
- Rev Jean Mayers recently took part in a ‘minister swap’ and shares the experience of a lifetime.
- Meet the man from Humpty Doo, the UCA’s new president, Stuart McMillan.
- Garth Jones reviews Supermarket Monsters, a book that questions the reality of a ‘free’ market.
- Synod Snaps brings you images from throughout the Church and beyond.
If you are not able to get to a Uniting Church congregation but would like to continue to receive Crosslight each month, we can arrange to deliver it to you, whether you are in Australia or overseas. Subscribe here to receive Crosslight in your letterbox every month.