Earlier this month the members of Glenaladale CFA parked their trucks outside and wore their Sunday best “yellows” as they attended Bairnsdale Uniting Church to thank the congregation for “adopting them”.
Over the past two years the Bairnsdale congregation has donated a parcel of land in Glenaladale to the CFA, along with $1500 for equipment for their new truck.
The Bairnsdale Uniting Church has a strong reputation for community support and in 2015 the congregation decided to donate 607sqm block of land that was adjacent to the site of the existing CFA building.
The titles were finally transferred, for only the cost of transfer of title and conveyancing in July 2016, after necessary submissions were made to presbytery, synod and CFA solicitors.
In September 2017, Glenaladale CFA received a new fire truck, but it needed additional safety equipment fitted.
Bairnsdale UC was able to donate $1500 towards this from proceeds raised by the Friendship Shed/Op Shop.
During the 19 August service Capt Rick O’Haire said the CFA’s relationship with the church was “like being adopted”.
Secretary Rick Coleman also spoke of the work undertaken by the CFA and their plans to extend the existing CFA building.
Rev Jeff Dart blessed their new truck and equipment, and offered prayers for the members in preparation for the coming fire season.
Following this, further prayers were offered by Bairnsdale UC chairperson Marilyn Cassidy for all emergency services, followed by prayers for rain and drought relief.
After the service, everyone enjoyed a delicious morning tea prepared by the folk at Bairnsdale Uniting Church; both parties look forward to an ongoing relationship and further spiritual support.