Churches throughout Australia joined a growing chorus of protest against the forced removal of 267 asylum seekers (including 37 babies born in Australia) to offshore detention centres Nauru and Manus Island. Habitat Uniting Church in Hawthorn was one of dozens of churches of all denominations to declare their church a sanctuary for those at risk of deportation. Read more about the churches response to offshore detention here.
Other highlights from this month include:
- The traditional UnitingCare Pancake Day celebrations have once again been embraced throughout the church.
- Meet the ministers leading the way in sharing leadership within their communities.
- Women within the church reflect on leadership, faith and confronting gender stereotypes.
- From what to give up for Lent to the US presidential nominations, our readers share their views in the letters page.
- St Patrick’s Day – a day of national pride or an excuse to party?
- Synod Snaps brings you images from throughout the Church and beyond
If you are not able to get to a Uniting Church congregation but would like to continue to receive Crosslight each month, we can arrange to deliver it to you, whether you are in Australia or overseas. Subscribe here to receive Crosslight in your letterbox.