Photographer Daniel Etter had been stunned with the response to his image, tweeting “I am overwhelmed by the reaction to this family’s tears of relief. This is why I do what I do.” The image depicts the raw emotion as a family finally reaches the safety of land. It is a reminder that those desperately seeking safety are people, just like us. Our one-on-one interview with Gillian Triggs also reminds us of the importance to remain vigilant in the face of human rights abuses, no matter the resistance or personal toll. Click here for the exclusive interview with Prof Triggs.
Other highlights from this month include:
- The Disability Action Plan helps ensure the Church is welcoming to all.
- Alfie the greyhound reminds us to count our blessings on World Animal Day – The Feast of St Francis of Assisi.
- Dr Lin Manhong inspired Assembly with the Cato Lecture about living on the margins.
- Meet some of the imaginative anthopiles who turn flowers into works of art each week.
- Farewell to Ron Mason, who retires as an elder after 64 years of continuous service
- Synod snaps brings you images from throughout the Church and beyond.
If you are not able to get to a Uniting Church congregation but would like to continue to receive Crosslight each month, we can arrange to deliver it to you, whether you are in Australia or overseas. Subscribe here to receive Crosslight in your letterbox every month.