Harry Morgan and Robert Swift (pictured) cut the cake at the celebrations for the 160th anniversary of the Brighton Congregational Church. At age three, Harry was the youngest member and Robert, over 90, nearly the oldest member present. The cake was shared with the 100 members and guests who enjoyed lunch after the morning worship in what is now called Trinity UCA.
Moderator Dan Wootton preached at worship and an augmented choir sang at several points in the service. One piece, ‘The heavens are telling’ from Haydn’s Creation had been sung at a concert at the time of the 50-year-jubilee in 1903.
The first public worship of a group of Independent Church folk was held in a 10-by-12-foot tent in early 1853. A temporary wooden structure was opened in November of that year and ultimately the substantial brick church, which is still in use, was first used on 2 December 1875.
Extensive examination of the records in the UCA Archives has been undertaken and from this a 40 page booklet was produced and given to all families present.